Winter can be a tough time for natural curly hair. The cold, dry air can zap moisture from your strands, leaving them frizzy, brittle, and undefined. With a few tweaks to your hair care routine, you can keep your curls healthy and hydrated all season long.Here are some tips for winter haircare for natural curly hair:
1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! This is the most important tip of all. Use a deep conditioner regularly, and consider using a leave-in conditioner or hair oil daily. Look for products that contain humectants, like glycerin or honey, which attract and retain moisture.
2. Avoid harsh shampoos. Sulfates can strip away your hair's natural oils, leaving it dry and brittle. Opt for a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo that will cleanse your hair without damaging it.
3. Turn down the heat. Avoid using hot styling tools, like blow dryers and flat irons, as much as possible. If you must use them, use a heat protectant spray first.
4. Diffuse if you must. If you must use a blow dryer, use a diffuser on the low heat setting. This will help to prevent frizz and preserve your curl pattern.
5. Don't forget your scalp! The cold weather can also dry out your scalp. Use a scalp oil or moisturizer to keep it hydrated.
6. Deep condition regularly. This will help to infuse your hair with moisture and nutrients.
7. Be patient! It may take some time to adjust your hair care routine for the winter. But once you find what works for you, your curls will be healthy and happy and thankful that you found a routine that works for the season.